Church History

Old Church_Building0002History of Our Church

 

The Senatobia Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in 1880 with the Reverend A. P. Sage as first pastor.

 

The organization was composed of some former members of the old Carolina Church, which was one mile south of Senatobia, and of some former members of the Ebenezer Church, two miles west of town. At first, they united with Bethesda Presbyterian and built a union church where the Presbyterian Church now stands on West Main Street in Senatobia.

 

The Methodists withdrew and built a church on a lot across the street from the present building. It was a brick structure with a steeple, belfry and a small annex of two rooms. This church advanced all the while doing the Lord’s work and growing in membership. In 1925 Sunday school rooms and a ladies’ parlor were added.

 

On March 13, 1932 the 11 o’clock service was interrupted by an announcement that the building was on fire. All in attendance made a hasty and orderly exit without panic or casualty. After six months and three weeks a new church was built, retaining the old walls. During the time of construction the Christian Church on Tate Street was not in use, and the Church was able to continue its ministry in this building, which was adequate except for Sunday school classroom space. This need was met by using the upper story of the Tate County Courthouse.

 

In 1939 the Senatobia congregation became the First Methodist Church after the union of the Methodist Episcopal Church south and The Methodist Church.

 

In 1952 a building campaign began to purchase land across the street for a larger facility. On October 7, 1956, the last service was held in the old building, followed by a communion service in the new building. In 1961 a consecration service was held for a new sanctuary, with the dedication taking place in 1971. In 1980, our centennial year, a consecration service was held for a new fellowship hall, kitchen and conference area.

 

In 2005, Senatobia First United Methodist Church celebrated 125 years of service to the Lord.

 

 

History of the UMC

On April 23, 1968, The United Methodist Church was created when Bishop Reuben H. Mueller, representing The Evangelical United Brethren Church, and Bishop Lloyd C. Wicke of The Methodist Church joined hands at the constituting General Conference in Dallas, Texas. With the words, "Lord of the Church, we are united in Thee, in Thy Church and now in The United Methodist Church," the new denomination was given birth by two churches that had distinguished histories and influential ministries in various parts of the world.

 

Theological traditions steeped in the Protestant Reformation and Wesleyanism, similar ecclesiastical structures, and relationships that dated back almost two hundred years facilitated the union. In the Evangelical United Brethren heritage, for example, Philip William Otterbein, the principal founder of the United Brethren in Christ, assisted in the ordination of Francis Asbury to the superintendency of American Methodist work. Jacob Albright, through whose religious experience and leadership the Evangelical Association was begun, was nurtured in a Methodist class meeting following his conversion.

 

Go to our own What is the UMC page 

 

© 2017 Senatobia First UMC
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community